How to keep your pets happy when you’re not at home
Here’s a couple of guidelines you can follow:
Leaving your pet small tasks and fun toys to play with when you’re not around can help with bad behaviour that comes from boredom.
Here are just a few ideas that will keep your pet busy when left home alone:
- Play with toys (change them over regularly so they don’t get bored)
- Looking for treats that you hide before you leave
- Keep a tv or radio playing to keep them company
- Provide a cat tree for your feline
2. Double check that your dog has water and biscuits/food if required. Using a pet food or water feeder ensures they can’t knock it over.
3. Ensure all backyard gates or for indoor pets all doors and windows are closed. Your pet misses you when you’re away, so ensure they can’t escape to try to find you.
4. Take your dog for a walk or play with your pet before you leave. If they are tired, it usually means they’ll be calmer and happier while you’re out.
5. Don’t make a big deal when you leave and return. They can especially make your dog feel nervous which can lead to separation anxiety. Pretending like it’s not a big deal will help them think so too.
Enjoy the time you’re with your pet! How do you deal with spending time away from your pet? Tell us in the comments!